Thursday, December 3, 2015

Qualities of a Christian

        Can people tell that you are a Christian from a distance? Before they come up to you and talk to you. Can they tell that you are the child of the Creator of the World? Can they tell that you are the child of a Holy and Mighty God? If they cant. Well my dear friend then we are doing something wrong. We should shine God's love without even saying a word.

      Being Christ-like simply  means to resemble Christ. The way we view life and the way we speak about life should be like Christ did. Our character should resemble His charater. Today I want to talk about the characteristics  that Christ Had and also just some general characteristics we should have as Christians.

       What is  character? Character is what defines you. D.L. Moody once said, “Character is what you are in the dark.”  What defines our character? Our commitment to Christ, Our spiritual displine, Obedience to God, Our motives, and Our actions.

       When I came upon this topic I decided to do some research online . What it meant, what it is, and what it looked like and I came upon this and I wanted to share it with you on my Blog. It’s 49 character qualities. I see these 49 character qualities as Christ characteristics  as well.

Character Qualities:

1.Alertness vs.  Unawareness
Being aware of that which is taking place around me so I  can have the right response to it (Mark 14:38)

2.Attentiveness vs.  Unconcern
Showing the worth of a person by giving undivided  attention to his words and emotions (Hebrews 2:1)

3.Availability vs.  Self-centeredness
Making my own schedule and priorities secondary to the  wishes of those I am serving (Philippians 2:20–21)

4.Boldness vs.  Fearfulness
Confidence that what I have to say or do is true and right  and just in the sight of God (Acts 4:29)

5.Cautiousness vs.  Rashness
Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing  right actions (Proverbs 19:2)

6.Compassion vs.  Indifference
Investing whatever is necessary to heal the hurts of  others (I John 3:17)

7.Contentment vs.  Covetousness
Realizing that God has provided everything I need for my  present happiness (I Timothy 6:8)

8.Creativity vs.  Underachievement
Approaching a need, a task, an idea from a new perspective  (Romans 12:2)

9.Decisiveness vs.  Double-mindedness
The ability to finalize difficult decisions based on the  will and ways of God (James 1:5)

10.Deference vs.  Rudeness
Limiting my freedom in order not offend the tastes of  those whom God has called me to serve (Romans 14:21)

11.Dependability vs.  Inconsistency
Fulfilling what I consented to do even if it means  unexpected sacrifice (Psalm 15:4)

12.Determination vs.  Faintheartedness
Purposing to accomplish God’s goals in God’s time  regardless of the opposition (II Timothy 4:7–8)

13.Dligence vs.  Slothfulness
Visualizing each task as a special assignment from the  Lord and using all my energies to accomplish it (Colossians 3:23)

14.Discernment vs.  Judgment
The God-given ability to understand why things happen (I Samuel 16:7)

15.Discretion vs.  Simplemindedness
The ability to avoid words, actions, and attitudes which  could result in undesirable consequences (Proverbs 22:3)

16.Endurance vs.  Giving up
The inward strength to withstand stress to accomplish  God’s best (Galatians 6:9)

17.Enthusiasm vs.  Apathy
Expressing with my soul the joy of my spirit (I Thessalonians 5:16,19)

18.Faith vs.  Presumption
Visualizing what God intends to do in a given situation  and acting in harmony with it (Hebrews 11:1)

19.Flexibility vs.  Resistance
Not setting my affections on ideas or plans which could be  changed by God or others (Colossians 3:2)

20.Forgiveness vs.  Rejection
Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and  allowing God to love them through me (Ephesians 4:32)

21.Generosity vs.  Stinginess
Realizing that all I have belongs to God and using it for  His purposes (II Corinthians 9:6)

22.Gentleness vs.  Harshness
Showing personal care and concern in meeting the need of  others (I Thessalonians 2:7)

23.Gratefulness vs.  Unthankfulness
Making known to God and others in what ways they have  benefited my life (I Corinthians 4:7)

24.Hospitality vs.  Loneliness
Cheerfully sharing food, shelter, and spiritual  refreshment with those whom God brings into my life (Hebrews 13:2)

25.Humility vs.  Pride
Recognizing that it is actually God and others who are  responsible for the achievements in my life (James 4:6)

26.Initiative vs.  Unresponsiveness
Recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am  asked to do it (Romans 12:21)

27.Joyfulness vs.  Self-pity
The spontaneous enthusiasm of my spirit when my soul is in  fellowship with the Lord (Psalm 16:11)

28.Justice vs.  Fairness
Personal responsibility to God’s unchanging laws (Micah 6:8)

29.Love vs.  Selfishness
Giving to others’ basic needs without having as my motive  personal reward (I Corinthians 13:3)

30.Loyalty vs.  Unfaithfulness
Using difficult times to demonstrate my commitment to God  and to those whom He has called me to serve (John 15:13)

31.Meekness vs.  Anger
Yielding my personal rights and expectations to God (Psalm 62:5)

32.Obedience vs.  Willfulness
Freedom to be creative under the protection of divinely  appointed authority (II Corinthians 10:5)

33.Orderliness vs.  Disorganization
Preparing myself and my surroundings so I will achieve the  greatest efficiency (I Corinthians 14:40)

34.Patience vs.  Restlessness
Accepting a difficult situation from God without giving  Him a deadline to remove it (Romans 5:3–4)

35.Persuasiveness vs.  Contentiousness
Guiding vital truths around another’s mental roadblocks (II Timothy 2:24)

36.Punctuality vs.  Tardiness
Showing high esteem for other people and their time (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

37.Resourcefulness vs.  Wastefulness
Wise use of that which others would normally overlook or  discard (Luke 16:10)

38.Responsibility vs.  Unreliability
Knowing and doing what both God and others are expecting  from me (Romans 14:12)

39.Reverence vs.  Disrespect
Awareness of how God is working through the people and  events in my life to produce the character of Christ in me (Proverbs 23:17–18)

40.Security vs.  Anxiety
Structuring my life around that which is eternal and  cannot be destroyed or taken away (John 6:27)

41.Self-Control vs.  Self-indulgence
Instant obedience to the initial promptings of God’s  Spirit (Galatians 5:24–25)

42.Sensitivity vs.  Callousness
Exercising my senses so I can perceive the true spirit and  emotions of those around me (Romans 12:15)

43.Sincerity vs.  Hypocrisy
Eagerness to do what is right with transparent motives (I Peter 1:22)

44.Thoroughness vs.  Incompleteness
Knowing what factors will diminish the effectiveness of my  work or words if neglected (Proverbs 18:15)

45.Thriftiness vs.  Extravagance
Not letting myself or others spend that which is not  necessary (Luke 16:11)

46.Tolerance vs.  Prejudice
Acceptance of others as unique expressions of specific  character qualities in varying degrees of maturity (Philippians 2:2)

47.Truthfulness vs.  Deception
Earning future trust by accurately reporting past facts (Ephesians 4:25)

48.Virtue vs.  Impurity
The moral excellence and purity of spirit that radiate  from my life as I obey God’s Word (II Peter 1:3)

49.Wisdom vs.  Natural Inclinations
Seeing and responding to life’s situations from God’s  frame of reference (Proverbs 9:10)

       I think we should ask ourself if we resembles this as Christians. Romans 12:2 " Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Let God mold you in who you are supposed to be. Just a few ways we can do this is by praying and reading and then listening to what He is trying to say to us. Follow the word of God. Luke 9v23 say deny yourself and pick up the cross daily. Daily work on yourself.

Blessing,
Nadia Komarova

1 comment:

  1. I really like the question "can people really tell that you are Christian from afar." I think that a lot of us don't think about that throught the day, so we become careless with our words and actions, which makes unbelievers see no difference between us and them. I think we should strive to show the light of the Gospel and all our words and actions!

    ReplyDelete